We grow around 100,000 pumpkins each year for our Pumpkin Week event. We also use our pumpkins in our now famous Pumpkin Week menu. Over the years we have created recipes with some local food writers and our in house team. Pumpkins are all edible but they are often carved for Halloween and then left to rot. There is a huge movement currently to try and stop post halloween pumpkins going in the bin. Last year it was estimated that around 22 million of these perfectly edible fruits ended up being thrown away.
Below you will find a how to prepare guide and some brilliant recipes for making the most of this really versatile food source. Here is a recipe written for us for Premier England Magazine for our regular column published in October 23. To download a print friendly A4 kitchen copy please click on this link. Pumpkin Scone Recipe.
You will also find a copy of our ebook of recipes here – we make all of these recipes for our pumpkin week apart from our pumpkin tart. Download Secretts Pumpkin Recipes
Scroll down for a list of 10 top tips for cooking with Pumpkin and a link to some external ideas.
Cooking with Pumpkin
Pumpkin is a versatile vegetable that can be used in a variety of recipes. Here are 10 ways to use up pumpkin:
- Pumpkin soup: Make a creamy pumpkin soup by blending cooked pumpkin with chicken or vegetable broth, cream, and spices like nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Pumpkin risotto: Add diced pumpkin to your favorite risotto recipe for a creamy and flavorful dish.
- Roasted pumpkin: Cut pumpkin into chunks and roast in the oven with olive oil, salt, and pepper for a simple and delicious side dish.
- Pumpkin pie: Use canned pumpkin puree to make a classic pumpkin pie with a flaky crust.
- Pumpkin bread: Mix pumpkin puree into your favorite bread recipe for a moist and flavorful loaf.
- Pumpkin pancakes: Add pumpkin puree to your pancake batter for a seasonal twist on a breakfast favorite.
- Pumpkin curry: Make a creamy pumpkin curry by sautéing onion and garlic with curry powder, adding diced pumpkin and coconut milk, and simmering until tender.
- Pumpkin smoothie: Blend pumpkin puree with almond milk, banana, and spices like cinnamon and ginger for a healthy and seasonal smoothie.
- Pumpkin hummus: Mix pumpkin puree with chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, and spices like cumin and coriander for a tasty dip.
- Pumpkin seeds: Roast pumpkin seeds with olive oil and salt for a crunchy and nutritious snack.